Essays by Trevor Stone
Below are several essays I've written since my freshman year of high school.
These are presented in reverse chronological order (newest first). Essays
written more recently tend to be better written, but they've all got some good
ideas. If you are looking for essays to copy, paste, print, and turn in, you
have a deep misunderstanding of the philosophy of education. I'm not going to
stop you, since you're cheating yourself.
Do you disagree with an opinion I express? Good!
Send me mail and we can argue about it :-)
I may well have changed opinions since I entered college. I'll try to get
my recent work online soon.
Not School Related
- To the Republic, Four Witches Stand
- The phrase "under God" isn't the important issue -- kids shouldn't be
forced to say the pledge at al.
College (University of Colorado, Boulder)
- Scouting the Territory of Self-Control
- Both the philosophical and psychological literature lack good theories
about self-control and weakness of will. This paper presents ways of
thinking about self-control and ethics in helpful ways.
College Papers While Still in High School (Fall 1997)
- Self is Personal Identity Over Time
- A philosophy paper about the nature of self and personal identity over
time, including examples of multiple personalities and split brain transplants.
- A Critique of the Design Argument
- A critique of the argument for the existance of god by design, aka the
watch and the watchmaker, etc.
Senior (Fall 1997-Spring 1998)
- Graduation Speech
- I'm quite proud of the applause I got as I gave this speech.
- Life is Like A War of Chocolates
- An essay about western students discussing The Art of War and
how people should see life.
Junior (Fall 1996-Spring 1997)
- Just What is Justice
- An essay examining the nature of justice.
- On Age and Society
- An essay on age and our society.
- On Games
- An essay about why people play games.
- On Uncertainty
- I think this is kind of an essay about being kind of uncertain.
- Information for Those Who Would Remove to
- An essay comparing the history of the Internet and human societies from an
- "You Write an Essay Like a Boy"
- An essay about "throwing like a girl" and what's behind that statement.
Sophomore (Fall 1995-Spring 1996)
- Progress and Regression
- A short essay on progress and regression. For each step we take forward,
we take one back.
- An essay about how Eeyore resembles parts of our society.
- The Meaning of Life
- An essay about the meaning of life.
- The Path to the Meaning of Life
- How I found the path to the meaning of life. Similar to, but more
structured than, the above essay.
- The World Wide Web: Politics, Capitalism, and
Censorship in Cyberspace
- How the WWW has helped and hurt the internet as a whole.
Freshman (Fall 1994-Spring 1995)
- The Wisdom of the Fool
- A philosophy paper about how fools are sometimes wise.
- The Inner Child
- An essay abour your inner child.
More School Stuff
Back to my homepage
Last modified by Trevor Stone